This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise. As a gym instructor you will be designing individual gym programmes and encouraging gym users to work out effectively and safely. You will also have the opportunity to improve customers’ overall health, fitness levels, raise their confidence and help them train for specific sports or events. Many gym instructors will often progress to become personal trainers.
Learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the respiratory system
- structure and function of the skeleton
- musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed
- Level of entry onto REPS: Level 2
The course consists of face-to-face learning, (2 day practical), and distance learning, (theory learning is completed from home with Tutor support via email). There is also a practical assessment which is to be completed within 2 weeks of the practical days.
- multiple choice theory paper/eAssessment
- practical examination
- assessment workbook
YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym Based Exercise)
£499 for the full Level 2 Certificate. Please note you will be required to book and pay in full at least two weeks before the course start date.
- YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training